441 Sutton Rd, Majura ACT 2609

(02) 6297 7187

Mon - Fri 7:30am - 4:30pm

Frequenty Asked Questions

How do I make a booking with Transport Industries Skills Centre or Sutton Road Training Centre?

To make a booking you can either call us on 02 6297 7187, apply online via our online booking portal, via e-mail to office@suttonroad.com.au  or in person by coming directly to our site at 441 Sutton Road, Majura.

Our wait times fluctuate during different times of the year, although we are generally fully booked out for at least 1 month in advance. To avoid disappointment please call us as soon as possible to secure the closest date.

All Heavy Vehicle courses are conducted one-on-one.

Forklift courses are conducted in a small group consisting of 4 students.

Dangerous Goods courses can accommodate a maximum of 20 students.

Transport Emergency Responder courses has a limit of 12 students.

We have a 7-day cancellation/change of date policy. If you require to change, reschedule or cancel your course we must be notified a minimum full 7 days prior to the commencement of your course. Failure to do this will result in all fees paid being lost. Fees will also be lost if you fail to turn up for your course.  If you are unwell and cannot provide 7 days notice, we can reschedule your course without any cost on receipt of your medical certificate.

USI is required for students undertaking nationally recognised training (qualifications, accredited courses, skill sets and units of competency) unless exempt. This includes international students studying in Australia. If you don’t have a USI you will not receive your qualification or statement of attainment and you will be required to sign documentation stating that you don’t want your statement of attainment.  Visit the website on www.usi.gov.au for more information.

Yes you can, but we do not recommend this.  The applicant need to complete and sign all enrolment documentation.  The student also needs to complete the Language, Literacy and Numeracy form independently.  All bookings are only confirmed at time of payment.

You have 60 days for a Forklift High Risk Work Licence, 6 months for Dangerous Goods licence and 12 months for heavy vehicles from the date stated on your certificate of competence issued to you on the completion of your course.

Until you obtain your heavy vehicle licence endorsement you may drive a heavy vehicle only if you have completed the necessary knowledge test (and have evidence of this) and are accompanied by a person who holds a valid licence for the type of vehicle you are driving. You must display ‘Driver Under Instruction plates or L plates’ at the front and rear of the vehicle. While learning to drive a heavy vehicle, your Blood Alcohol Concentration must be .00

ACT – All applicants, regardless of age, who are applying for a Medium Rigid (MR), Heavy Rigid (HR), Heavy Combination (HC) or Multi Combination (MC) driver licence in the ACT must obtain a commercial health assessment at the time of each licence upgrade.

Public passenger vehicle drivers (H, M, O, T, W): medical assessment on initial application, then five- yearly to age 70, then annually thereafter. In all cases additional or more frequent health assessments may be required if a condition is reported.

NSW  – Medical assessment for all licence classes at 75 years of age and annually thereafter.  Multiple combination vehicle (road train) drivers (class MC): medical assessment on initial application and then at age 21 and every 10 years up to age 40, then every five years until age 60, then every two years until age 70; annually thereafter.

Public passenger vehicle drivers (buses): medical assessment on initial application and then every three years until the age of 60 years; annually thereafter.

You can apply to upgrade  for any rigid vehicle  if you are 19+ have held your ACT or NSW car licence for at least 24 months you can go straight to Heavy Rigid

The Medium Rigid covers you for any vehicle with one axle at the front and one axle at the rear, whereas the Heavy Rigid has three or more axles, one front two rear or two front and two or more rear axle vehicles.

You can tow a trailer up to 9 tonnes GVM on any Rigid vehicle. Once you are towing a trailer that is registered to carry more than 9 tonnes GVM then you must upgrade your licence to the next level.  A Medium Rigid with a trailer more than 9 t GVM requires you to hold a Heavy Rigid licence.  Driving a Heavy Rigid vehicle with a trailer more than 9t GVM you will need to hold a Heavy Combination Licence.

Yes you can only drive automatic heavy vehicle, if you then wish to drive another vehicle which is fitted with either a synchromesh or non-synchromesh type gearbox you will need to undertake another assessment in using that type of transmission.  If you already hold a Medium Rigid, Synchromesh licence and want to upgrade to Heavy Rigid licence and that vehicle is automatic then you will retain the synchromesh classification and will be able to drive a synchromesh heavy rigid as well.  

Yes, however you need to have held your HR for a period of one year or more, and you must be 20+ year old.  This option is not recommended as you haven’t towed a single trailer and now wanting to tow two trailers on a public street and then you are required to back both trailers coupled together for 75mtrs in a straight line. It is recommended you hold your Heavy Combination first.

No – you must check with Access Canberra or Transport for NSW directly. It is important your licence is definitely over 2 years old in Australia. If you have provided false information, you will not be entitled to any refunds or course transfers.

Contact Us

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.