Load Restraint Awareness
This is a non-accredited course and is therefore not nationally recognised.
Do you load or drive a heavy vehicle? State and Territory legislation mandate that all loads are secure and safe on Australian roads.
This short course will equip you with the knowledge and skills to use certain methods to ensure loads on heavy vehicles stay in control when transported. Load restraint prevents loads from falling off, protruding or making the vehicle unstable. Incorrect load restraint can cause injury and damage to property or other road users. This course is designed to comply to the specific chain of responsibility provisions which relate to packing, loading and load restraint requirements according to the National Transport Commission (The load Restraint guide). This course provides drivers, owners and operators with the basic safety principals to be followed to ensure the safe transportation of loads. Our half or one day course can be completed here at the Sutton Road Training Centre or we can come to you.
Businesses dealing with the public, may be held accountable for unsafely loading vehicles and trailers. Protect yourself and protect the public. Let us provide you with the training to recognise, manage and rectify unsafe loading practices.
- $825 per 4 hour session on our site
- $2,200 daily rate for our trainer to present at your site
- All pricing is inclusive of GST
- Full payment must be made at time of booking
Travel and accommodation costs for our trainer to deliver the training at your site will be for your account.
We can accommodate two sessions per day with up to 15 people per session. Should you require our trainer to provide training at your site, we will require a classroom with a projector for the presentation.
- Load Restraint principles
- Arranging loads on vehicles
- Restraining loads on vehicles
- Load restraint equipment
- Vehicle load compliance
- Risks of an unrestrained load
- Lateral and longitudinal instability
- Loading safety
- Centre of mass and vehicle stability
- Approved restraints
- Proper use of restraints
- Restraining unusual loads
All students must –
- Have a moderate level of English language. A language, Literacy and Numeracy assessment might require completion prior to enrolment.
- Have received at least two COVID-19 Vaccinations.
- Have a completed Sutton Road Training Centre Enrolment Form e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org together with your driver licence and proof of vaccination to finalise the full enrolment process.
- Students are required to bring their own lunch; however fast food outlets are located in Queanbeyan if you prefer to purchase it. A fridge, microwave, tea, coffee and biscuits are provided.
- Enclosed shoes and comfortable clothing suitable for the expected weather.
- High visibility vest. (We can provide you with one on the day)
- Additional items depending on the weather such as; a hat, sunscreen or rain jacket as part of the training is conducted outside.
This course includes the effective restraint of loads on heavy vehicles to protect the safety of employees and public road users.
- Comply with Load Restraint law
- Prevent unacceptable movement
- Prevent point pressure
- Prevent damage of loads
- Protect safety of workers and public road users
- Understand different restraint systems
- Secure loads in line with the Load Restraint Guide
- Understand load characteristics
- Recognise correct load positions
Students also complete a small workbook at the end of the course, for them to retain and are given the current load restraint guide (2018), published by National Transport Commission.
Sutton Road Training Centre does not accept any tentative bookings and will only confirm a student’s enrolment upon receipt of the driver licence, COVID-19 vaccination status, course enrolment forms and course payment.
Cancellations made up to one week (7 days) prior to this course commencing will receive a full refund. Any cancellations made after this time will not be eligible for any refund.
Failure to attend training on the day will not result in a refund. Sutton Road Training Centre at their sole discretion may offer to rebook the student on a later course upon the presentation of a medical certificate for the course days that were missed.
We recommend that students drive to our facilities. We at located at 441 Sutton Road, Majura, ACT. Our training facilities are located on the left side of the road, approximately 900m from the Sutton Rd/Pialligo Ave intersection. There is ample free onsite parking for students.